23 Mar Recipe – red cabbage with orange and dates
- 2 oranges
- 1/2 a small red cabbage
- Approximately 6 dates pitted and sliced
- 3 spring onions thinly sliced
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 2tbsp organic, cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- Small handful of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt and pepper
- 1-2 tbsp pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
Start by preparing the oranges; slice off the skin and pith and, holding the orange over a bowl to preserve the juices, remove each orange segment from its pithy outer layer. This may seem like a laborious task but the pith can be very bitter and will end up overpowering the flavours of the salad.
Remove a few of the outer cabbage leaves and reserve then slice the cabbage into very thin strips, either with a sharp knife or a mandolin. Crush the fennel seeds in a pestle and mortar and add to the red cabbage, pour over the reserved orange juice and gently massage together, this will start to soften the strands of cabbage.
Add in all the other ingredients, except the pistachio nuts, and mix well with your hands. Season, sprinkle over the pistachio nuts and serve piled into the reserved cabbage leaves or in a large bowl.