12 Sep Vegan French Toast
Posted at 10:40h in Blog
A sneak preview of our vegan-friendly french toast which will be available all next week at both branches as part of our VegOut week. This dish is super simple, tasty and a real crowd pleaser. The recipe below will serve one to two, double or triple up accordingly depending on how many you’re feeding!
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 banana
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom
- Four small slices of bread of your choice (we’ve used sourdough and rye)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar
- A pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- Raw virgin coconut oil for frying
- Coconut yoghurt
- Coconut nectar or maple syrup
- Fresh fruit of your choice
- Combine the almond milk, banana, coconut sugar, salt and spices in a blender and mix until smooth. Set aside this mixture in a bowl.
- Slice your bread relatively thinly so that the toast is not too soggy, then soak each slice in your batter for several seconds.
- Heat a shallow frying pan with a tablespoon of coconut oil on a high heat, then place your soaked pieces of bread into the hot pan.
- Fry for around two minutes on each side until golden brown. As there is no egg in the batter, be careful as the toast can stick and burn. Add a little more coconut oil if necessary.
- Once cooked, remove the toast and set aside on a piece of greaseproof paper or a tea towel.
Serve stacked high with lashings of coconut yoghurt, coconut nectar and fresh fruit and you have just the breakfast for a little weekend indulgence!